The Hold Me Tight – Let Me Go workshop is an educational, experiential online workshop for families with teens, created by Drs. Nancy and Paul Aiken. It is based on Dr. Sue Johnson’s Emotionally Focused Family Therapy (EFFT) model that’s designed to build strong, cohesive families.
How to have a securely attached family even during the stormy period of adolescence. We will help your family repair, enhance, and develop secure bonds so teens are able to grow and successfully launch into the world while remaining connected to their family roots.
- Describe and control negative interactions that create pain and distance in your family
- Understand each family member’s emotional responses and needs
- Create positive moments of reaching and responding that lead to more connection and cohesion
The first part of the program is for parents exclusively. The facilitators teach core concepts of attachment parenting, identifying the caregiving attachment organization and the alliance between parents. We will discuss how parents become reactive as their teens begin to push them away, and explore how parents can share their reactivity with their partner (or another support person).
In the second part of the program, teens join the parents in the workshop. Each session is comprised of one or more conversations which each family has with each other. The conversations are led by the facilitators, who follow up with an invited large group discussion. During this process, parents and teens support each other as they discover they are not the only families to have challenges during the teen years.
- Short didactic presentations by the facilitators.
- Exercises that each family does together or with the group. We will demonstrate each exercise using excerpts from the Hold Me Tight/Let Me Go DVD.
- Large group discussions regarding the exercises are led by the facilitators.